WHEN DO I NEED TO USE UTI TEST STRIPS?
Use the UTI Test Strips if you have a painful, burning feeling when you urinate, you have to go very often, or only small amounts of urine pass even when you have to go very badly. Please seek medical attention if your result comes out positive.
HOW DO I USE THE TESTING KIT?
- Gather the following items:
- The UTI Test Strip in CLOSED foil pouch
- Paper towel(s)
- Watch or Timer
- A Pen or Pencil (optional)
- Remove the strip from the foil pouch and use the test immediately. If the test has been left out of the foil pouch for 20 minutes or more, open a new test strip.
- Begin urinating. After some urine has passed, hold the test pads in the urine stream for 1-2 seconds. Make sure both test pads are wet.
- Dab the side of the strip on a paper towel to remove excess urine.
- Lay the test strip with the test pads facing upwards and begin your timer.
Read test results for Nitrate after 1 minute and for Leukocytes after 2 minutes. Compare each test area to its corresponding colour blocks on the colour chart to obtain results. Correct read time is important for accurate results.
- Record the results with a pen or pencil. Compare them to the table in the Results section.
CAN ANYTHING LEAD TO A FALSE OR INACCURATE READING?
Yes, you may get false and inaccurate results if:
- You have been taking medicine or dietary supplement that may change urine colour (such as drugs containing azo dyes (ie Pyridium®, Azo Gantrisin®, Azo Gantanok®, nitrofurantoin (Microdantin®, Furadanlin®, riboflavin).
- You are taking Vitamin C or multivitamin.
- You have a UTI caused by bacteria that does not change nitrate to nitrite, or if your diet does not include nitrates.
- When urine has not been held in the bladder for more than 4 hours.
- You are taking drugs containing acetazolamide, potassium citrate, and sodium bicarbonate because your urine PH maybe ≥8.0.